The original West Canfield Historic District, placed on the Michigan Historic Register on November 6, 1970, included the attractive block of excellently-maintained late Victorian homes located on West Canfield between Third and Second Avenues. In 1997, the boundary of the West Canfield Historic District was increased to include three substantial building on Third near the intersection with West Canfield. There are two late Victorian commercial buildings and a Queen Anne-style home dating from the 1880s. The commercial buildings illustrate the nature of retail trade in Detroit in the late 19th century. One of the structures is a four-bay, two-story commercial building with apartments—perhaps for the proprietors of the retail establishments—on the second floor. Please observe the use of attractive raised bricks on the façade to delineate each of the distinct bays, presumably used by different merchants. The commercial brick building at 4317 Third provides space for a store on the ground floor level with an apartment above. It has been substantially altered in the last century and a quarter. The boundary increase also includes the Queen Anne-style home on Third near West Canfield that is not completely visible now. It features a wrap-around front porch, appealing columns and a five-sided bay window.
Architectural styles : Late Victorian and Queen Anne
Date of construction: 1883 to 1889
Use in 2002: A church based group uses the commercial buildings to serve the needs of the community.
State of Michigan Historical Register: Listed P26167
National Register of Historic Sites: Listed: September 22, 1997
Photo: Ren Farley, September, 2002.
Return to Federal Register of Historic Districts
Return to Michigan Registered Historic Districts
Return to Homepage